Tuesday 11 October 2016

Sleeve Design for The Jam

Secret 7" are a group that raises awareness and funds for good causes using music and design as the tools to do so.
In 2016 they asked artists/illustrators to design sleeves for 7" singles which were sold at 50 pounds a piece, the proceeds going to Amnesty International.
I designed a sleeve for the song Art School, by The Jam.

When I was 15, I thought that The Jam were the bees knees. I'd been a heavy metal kid, but now I was getting into things that were more likely to appeal to girls! (I went back to metal later. Oh heck, I love all sorts of music).
Anyway, fans of The Jam were part of a mod revival that happened at the turn of the 80s. So they were trying to replicate an idea of what they thought it was like to be a mod in 1964. That's what I was trying to capture in this illustration. The self conscious effort of trying to be an authentic copy of something. Did I capture it? Who cares. I'm happy with it...




No comments:

Post a Comment